Wednesday

"KONY 2012"


At first I was touched, tears grew in my eyes as I watched the scenes of the young rebel's in Uganda.
People and atrocities I had heard of before but had failed to pay attention to.
 Then, almost directly after watching, my stomach churned. I realized how uncomfortable the film had made me feel - not necessarily for the imagery, disturbing as it was, but for how it was depicting people of varying regions.  I cannot speak for the citizens of Uganda, my knowledge of their culture, country and continent is limited, but from all the responses to the 'Kony 2012' film (and all the criticisms) it is my understanding that they did not agree with how their country was being portrayed.
And neither do I.
 The immediate reaction for many people of North America was to donate to this organization, 'Invisible Children.' Essentially, high off of the emotional charge the film 'Kony 2012' had, they felt the impulse to buy into something that would improve their social activism. I understand, I felt the urge to as well.
There is nothing wrong with donating to a charity, but it is important to understand it's intent and do some research into what it is your putting your money into. Isn't it the same with making any other purchase? Before buying something, don't you sometimes take a night to sleep on it?
Lastly, understanding the difference between donating globally and acting locally.
It may seem like your top priority is to stop Joseph Kony and save the Ugandan Rebels, but
 think realistically for a moment. What else could you do to improve situations within
 your environment and society? For those that have already bought their 'action kits',
 congratulations, but I hope this won't be your final donation to a community,
 whether that be close to home or a continent away.
 Everything counts, that's all for now.


-B

1 comment: